When delivering e-mail, it is extremely important to engage your user-base and give them what they want. Failing to do so will result in a dwindling open rate and increased unsubscribes. As your e-mail list size grows, giving all the users the exact same thing will surely displease some. Giving everybody what they want becomes increasingly difficult. Eventually, you will get to the point where it makes more sense to break apart your e-mail list into sub-lists that are more targeted. This process is called e-mail list segmentation.
Segmenting e-mail lists can help your overall open, read, click and conversion rates. Breaking apart an e-mail list can be challenging. You need to have superb tracking systems in place that enables you to categorize your subscribers. Having your subscribers fill out a survey that determines what they like/dislike is invasive and not very practical. Luckily you can put effort into categorizing the information you already have or would normally get through regular e-mail campaign distribution to create non-invasive methods of e-mail list segmentation.
The following is a list of 13 non-invasive methods that can be used to segment your e-mail lists for better overall conversion:
- GeoIP Country – Knowing the country people live in can help you in various ways. Some countries may have lower incomes and you may want to adjust your product pitches accordingly. Or perhaps you want to send e-mails to the subscribers in the country’s native language.
- GeoIP City/State/Region – You could use this information to do group buying deals or sell your users other local goods/services.
- GeoIP Climate – Knowing what the climate is for your subscribers can help prevent you from trying to sell cold weather goods to warmer climates and vice versa.
- User Agents – By using the e-mail client’s User Agent, you can determine whether people are checking their e-mail with a mobile device or a PC. You may want to design different campaigns layouts for people who use a mobile device, or you may want to determine what mobile device they are using and sell them accessories for their phone.
- Open Rates – You will need to categorize your e-mail subjects. Once you have done this, you can see which of your subscribers open your e-mail campaigns more commonly for particular categories. With this information, you can send people e-mails which they are more likely to open.
- Click Rates – If you categorize all of the links within your e-mail campaigns, you can determine what people are likely to click through for a particular category. This information will allow you to send people e-mails they are more likely to click on.
- Click Time – You could use this information to determine when people open their e-mail campaigns from you and configure your e-mail campaigns to go out right before that putting you at the top of their in-box at the most opportune time.
- Login Log – Perhaps you want to rejuvenate or entice subscribers to come back when they haven’t visited in a while.
- If they buy – Using a user account to track the e-mail address through the point of purchase can help you separate out those who have bought something vs. those who haven’t. Combine this with a list of products that first time buyers are likely to purchase and you can make a really nice initial conversion campaign for your non-buyers.
- What they buy – Using a user account to track all of the purchases made through a given e-mail address and categorizing the items purchased can give you valuable information regarding what else they might buy.
- Cost of items they buy – Keeping the average, minimum and maximum costs of items the subscriber has purchased can help you determine which items are in their price range.
- Number of items per order – Knowing how many items people are likely to purchase can help you work on increasing that number. You can focus your campaigns on turning a 2 item buyer into a 4 item buyer and a 4 item buyer into an 8 item buyer.
- How much they buy – Knowing the average, minimum and maximum value of orders that subscribers have purchased can help you put together package deals that entice them to buy the package of highest value.
Segmenting your e-mail lists is a great way to get better conversions. In the beginning, while you are still growing your e-mail list it will likely be impractical to create several e-mail campaigns, but as your list grows it will become more and more worth your while. You will know when the time is right, but until then it does not hurt to have the above systems tied into your e-mail campaign intelligence.
If you are looking to start creating your email lists or begin using them more effectively, keep in mindMailPropeller Email Marketing Soultions. MailPropeller is a robust mass mail solution that is capable of using artificial intelligence to segment your email lists in all of the above ways or any way you could imagine to send completely individualized highly targeted emails.
Special thanks to JIC Design for posting this article in their blog.